Science, creation and evolution
A survey of 2,060 adults in the UK conducted by ComRes on behalf of Theos during October and November 2008 obtained the following results:
- 10% of people consider science and religious belief to be completely incompatible
- 75% believe that science can explain many things but not everything
- 70% knew that Darwin is strongly identified with evolution but only 54% knew that the Origin of Species was written by him
- 37% believe that Darwinian evolution is a theory so well established that it is beyond reasonable doubt and 19% said they believed it had little or no supporting evidence
- 36% believe that Darwinian evolution is still waiting to be proved
When asked to choose one of four possible positions in the evolution/creation debate:
- 17% chose young earth creationism (YEC)
- 11% chose intelligent design (ID)
- 28% chose theistic evolution (TE)
- 37% chose atheistic evolution (AE)
- 65% consider evolution (TE or AE) to be the most likely explanation for the origins of human life
Some of the results were however contradictory:
- 17% said YEC is the most likely explanation for the origins of human life but when asked a follow up question 32% said it was either definitely or probably true
- 11% said ID was the most likely explanation yet 51% said it was either definitely or probably true
- 28% said TE was the most likely explanation yet 44% said it was definitely or probably true
- 37% said AE was the most likely explanation yet only 32% said it was definitely or probably true
Source: Theos Faith and Darwin
A major survey of 17,000 Christians conducted throughout 2010 by the Evangelical Alliance found that when asked if they agreed with statement “Evolution and Christianity are incompatible: you can’t believe both”:
- 39% disagreed a lot
- 20% disagreed a little
- 14% were unsure
- 8% agreed a little
- 18% agreed a lot
Source 21st Century Evangelicals www.eauk.org/snapshot
In an email survey of 628 Alliance members in 2008 the following results were obtained when we asked the question:
"The best explanation for the origin of humans is.."
- 66.6% said "special creation created by God on the 6th day"
- 15.3% said intelligent design
- 16% said "Darwin's theory of evolution made possible by a creator God"
- 2.1% said they did not know.